Volunteers are a very important part of our organization. We rely on our dedicated, trustworthy volunteers for many tasks both at the shelter and at our community events.
Before volunteering you must be 18 years of age and complete a volunteer training session. If you are a parent and have underage children (must be no younger then 8 years old) that wish to volunteer, they must have a parent or guardian with them at all times who has also taken the volunteer class. A parent MUST fill out the volunteer application as well. Our volunteer classes are held twice a month and are scheduled directly with our volunteer coordinator after you have filled out a volunteer application and release form and it has been received. The link to these forms is found at the bottom of the page.
To keep our volunteers safe and to assure that they feel confident when working with animals at the shelter, we require each volunteer to meet with a volunteer mentor at least once before they are able to handle the animals on their own. The volunteer mentor will guide you through the process of signing in and out, how to safely remove animals from their cages, how to properly handle them during walks or play time, and how to place them back in their kennels securely.
Our volunteer opportunities include the following services and provide the following benefits to the staff and animals:
- Walking dogs
- Giving our wonderful dogs some exercise, fresh air, and companionship
- Allows some leash training which helps with adoption
- Lets the animals have some one-on-one attention
- Socializing Cats
- Gives our wonderful kitties some exercise and companionship
- Allows the cats more human interaction which is a plus for adoption and lets the animals have some personal one-on-one time
- Cleaning kennels
- All cages and runs are scooped and sterilized daily
- It’s a great help to the staff!
- It’s an opportunity to handle each animal and give them love and attention
- You can work with dogs, cats, or both
- Kong Enrichment
- Gives our dogs a nice treat at the end of the night
- Dogs LOVE frozen Peanut Butter
- Office work
- Minor shelter repairs
- Distributing event flyers
- Special Events-Fundraising events, parades, adopt-a-thons, Walk for the Animals, working the GSHS information booth, golf tournament, the list goes on and on!
Our volunteers are always needed to help the staff and the animals around the shelter and at special events! Please consider donating some of your time to help the homeless and abandoned animals of our community. If you are interested in helping us with something not listed or have any further questions about volunteering with us, please contact the volunteer coordinator at email@example.com.
If you would like to volunteer at GSHS, please fill out the volunteer application and Liability Release forms below.
Please note both the VOLUNTEER APPLICATION and LIABILITY RELEASE FORM must be signed and filled out completely in order to volunteer with the Grand Strand Humane Society.
Also, please be sure to include your email address. The volunteer coordinator must be able to get in touch with you via email for upcoming events as it is impossible to call each and every volunteer each time help is needed. Thank you!